Cryogenic Component Tests
With over 15 years experience in cryogenic applications, Callisto is able to offer high precision and cost effective cryogenic test equipment and services, for a wide range of applications and sectors. Callisto's Dewar (cryostat) designs serve the testing of RF, microwave, electrical, optical and mechanical components at cryogenic temperatures down to 15 Kelvin. Our Dewar solutions use a vacuum environment and closed loop (cryogen-free) mechanical Helium coolers.
Examples of components requiring testing are listed below, spanning the radio-astronomy, earth observation satellite, air-borne imaging systems, medical imaging and computing sectors:
- Ultra-low noise RF LNAs, mixers, filters, connectors and components,
- Superconductor (HTS or LTS) components,
- Infra-red detector components,
- On-board space craft instrument components (optical, radar and electrical),
- Any electrical or mechanical component destined for use in cryogenic assemblies (e.g. imaging and medical instruments).
Callisto's test service offer allows clients a flexible solution to evaluate the performance of components at cryo temperatures, priced on a per-test basis and thereby minimising capital expenditure. The comprehensive service includes:
- Test planning, feasibility assessment, evaluation of test requirements and definition of needs for test jigs, interface adapters etc,
- Provision of any necessary test jigs, adapters interface cables or transmission lines,
- Installation of components to be tested,
- Operation of cryogenic test Dewar and associated monitoring Equipment,
- Conducting or assisting in running measurements on components,
- RF instruments (Vector network analyser operating up to 40GHz, Spectrum Analyser, etc...)
The test solution includes the above described Dewar, cryo-cold head, cryo-compressor and high vacuum pump.
Need a system in-house?
Callisto has two standard Dewar (cryostat) test platform models (TD-s and TD-c), designed for the testing of RF microwave, electrical and mechanical components. The TD-s is a square format, suitable for long duration testing of components down to 15K, and the TD-c is a circular format, suitable for rapid, automated thermal cycling and batch component testing down to 25K. The two standard models are presented in detail below.
Callisto also manufactures bespoke Dewars for specific client needs, and can offer an in-house testing service (if the test specifications are compatible with Callisto's in-house platform).
|25 Kelvin (unloaded)||15 Kelvin (unloaded)|
|Automated temperature Cycling and Manual Control||Manual Control Only
(possible on-demand upgrade to automatic mode)
Cold component max dimensions
Minimum Test Duration
|+60°C to 40K to +60°C
in typically <1.5hrs
|~4 hrs cool-down time,
~4 hrs warm-up time
(using heating circuit)
|5 ports Ø 80mm,
1 port Ø 30mm
|6 ports Ø 80mm,
1 port Ø 25mm
Want to know more?
|Find out more...||Find out more...|